Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween

Yesterday was Halloween, and in case you didn't know, it was only something like 3 hours long.  How else do you explain how quickly the day disappeared?  It was dark, it was light, it was dark again in the flap of a bat's wing.  Gideon and I started the day with Gramma at storytime.  If kids wore their costumes to the library they got a free book so storytime was packed with miniature ghouls, fairies, and robots, as well as a robust assortment of Disney characters.  Gideon wore his skeleton pajamas and got down Dance Macabre style (take that gangnam style)






Once we were home I made a mad dash to A. clean my house and B. put up the Halloween decorations that have been sitting in my study for 3 weeks.  Don't get me wrong, we totally decorated outside, but inside we had been slacking.  I hung up some bats, strategically placed a skull and even filled up the old spooky hand cauldron with candy before it was time to start getting ready for people to come over.

yep, I decorated Chloe

Mac and I totally dorked it up this year in true Trekkie style

Of course Gideon is the captain, since he runs the show around here
 

For the last few years our BFFs the Norris's have come over for Halloween which has allowed us to get dressed up and trick-or-treat even before we had a child of our own to harass and embarrass.

Can you believe that this child,


is now this child?

(BTW this child is amazing, she said please and thank you, and had an abundance of patience for slow adults and even slower toddlers; such a joy to be around!  And she CRACKED ME UP with her excited and periodic exclamations of "Meow!"  She is very method.)
The last couple of years my mom, sister, and niece have also joined us.  This year they brought Grampa Rock with them too!

This child,



has suddenly become this child,


Or rather this child,

 I mean this child,
She is one on-the-go little girl, which makes her  my favorite little wiggle but a little hard to photograph

This year Mac's parents also joined in on the fun of walking long distances in the dark and all of us old folks did our best to keep up with the kiddos.  It's funny because initially we laughed a little at ourselves for having a 3:1 child/adult ratio but we were pretty grateful for it once we got out there.













It was a night filled with pizza, candy, costumes and maybe even a little magic (but don't tell Justin) and it was over before I knew it.

That is one exhausted starship captain
At the end of the night Mac and I sat in the quiet house and had a hard time going to bed.  Next year the child will actually say "trick-or-treat" for candy (instead of just inside our house while practising) and he may even run off ahead of us instead of being carried around all snuggly and sweet.

He is no longer this baby,



and he won't be this toddler,


he will be our little boy.  I can't believe it, I can't wait, and I kind of want it all to slow down.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment